Contact www.solvedcare.com for best and lowest cost solution or email email@example.com
ADL 34 Recruitment Selection & Retention V2
Assignment – A
Question 1. “Job analysis is basically a process of data collection”, Discuss.
Also point out the sources of job information, and the seven basic areas in
which job analysis provides information.
Question 2. “Job description” and ‘job specification’ are the twin products of
job analysis”. Discuss. Also point out the process of job description.
Question 3. Do you agree that job specification is the statement of minimum
acceptable human qualities necessary to perform a job properly? Yes or no, why?
Also throw light on the contents of job specification for the posts of HR
Manager to be recruited in an organization employing 5000 employees.
Question 4. Identify the main stages in the process of selection, especially if
the candidates have to be selected for the posts of Vice President (HR) and Sr.
Vice President (HR).
Question 5. “In the present era of information technology, the role of internet
in recruitment hardly needs any elaboration.” Justify the statement.
Assignment – B
Question 1. “Interviews are the most used, misused and abused tool in the
process of selection”. Discuss. Also point out the methods of interviewing.
Question 2. What is meant by ‘Retention Management’? Also discuss in brief, the
steps that need to be taken to retain people in the organization.
Question 3. Short notes on any three of the following:
a) Job analysis in a jobless world.
b) The Decision Theory Approach.
d) Designing performance appraisal system.
e) Application Blank.
Growing Minds, Inc. is a national chain of retail outlets specializing in
creative toys and innovative learning materials for children. The company caters
to the upper end of the market and focuses on customer service for a competitive
advantage. It provides workshops for parents and children on topic such as
learning with the computer and indoor gardening and offers crafts classes
ranging from papier-mâché to pottery.
Growing Minds plans to expand and to open five new retail outlets in the coming
quarter. This may mean up to 200 new hires, and the executive team wants to make
sure that the best propel are hired and retained. It has issued a challenge to
its retail management personnel to design a staffing process that will
accomplish these goals.
The children’s market in which Growing Minds operates demands service personnel
who are endlessly patient; knowledgeable about children, toys, and learning;
and, perhaps most important, sociable, enthusiastic, and engaging. Excellent
customer service is the top priority at Growing Minds, and obtaining the desired
performance from personnel has meant a major investment in training.
Unfortunately, new workers often leave within a year of being hired. This means
that the company barely gets an adequate return of the training it has invested
in its new hires. Apparently, turnover is due (at least in part) to the
demanding nature of the job. Recently, Growing Minds has been emphasizing the
establishment of work teams to improve the quality of its services, identify and
fix any problems in service delivery, and brainstorm new opportunities. This
approach has yielded better-than-anticipated results, so the team concept will
be central to the new outlets.
1. How can Growing Minds attract the best applicants for job at its new
retail outlets? On what groups, if any, should the company’s recruiting efforts
focus? How should the recruiting be done?
2. How should Growing Minds select the best candidates? What type of
characteristics and measures should be used? Why?
3. How might Growing Minds address its retention problem?
4. How might Growing Minds socialize its employees so that they are attuned
to the firm’s culture and plans for the future?
Assignment – C
1. Once job analysis is conducted, the data reviewed is:
(a) Job Description
(b) Job enlargement
(c) Job enrichment
2. Which is not true regarding job analysis?
(a) It is a process of data collection
(b) It is a procedure through which facts are gathered for each job
(c) Information about the job is systematically discovered & noted
(d) It is a process of data dissemination
3. Job description does not consist of :
(a) Job summary
(b) Job evaluation
(c) Hazards involved
4. Who of the following is not the source of job information in connection with
(a) Job holders
(b) Independent observers
(d) Pay Commission
5. Which is not true?
(a) HR planning is helpful in detailing the numbers and kind of personnel
(b) It spells out the qualification, skills and expertise of personnel required
in all organizations.
(c) It gives lead time for recruitment, selection, training and development of
(d) HR planning integrates the employees into the organization.
6. Which of the following is not a stage of the process of HR planning?
(a) Identifying objectives
(b) Developing manpower
(c) Assessing Business Plan
(d) Manpower audit
7. Which of the following is not the quantitative method of forecasting HR
(a) Moving Average
(b) Exponential smoothing
(c) Delphi Technique
(d) Trend projections
8. Which of the following is not involved in work-load analysis?
(a) Demand analysis
(b) Establishing work standards
(c) Nature and composition of existing workforce
(d) Turnover rate of employees
9. Which of the following is not a quantitative method of forecasting HR demand?
(a) Nominal Group Technique
(e) Probability Matrixes
10. Requirement is not:
(a) The process of searching for prospective candidates and stimulating them to
apply for job in the organization.
(b) Attracting lot of potential for the company
(c) A positive concept
(d) Selecting the best candidate
11. Which of the following is not a stage in the process of selection?
(b) Initial contract
(d) Physical Examination
12. Which is not a Psuedo way of selecting applicant?
13. Which of the following is not a psychometric test?
14. Which of the following is not a psychological test?
(a) Intelligence Test
(b) Written Test
(c) Objective Test
(d) Situation Test
15. Which of the following statement with regard to scientific methods of
selection is not true?
(a) Scientific methods of selection reduce cost of selection, training &
(b) Scientific methods of selection reduce the need of interviewing the
(c) Scientific methods of selection boosts the image of the organization in the
(d) Scientific methods of selection reduce cost of counselling and coaching.
16. Which of the following information is not sought through the Application
(a) Identifying information
(b) Job contents
(d) Physical Characteristics
17. Psychological tests are not used in the field of :
(a) Placement of personnel
(b) Performance appraisal
(c) Testing an individual’s socialibility.
(d) Selection of personnel
18. Which of the following is not an approach to staffing in International Human
(a) Ethnocentric approach
(b) Multi-specific approach
(c) Polycentric Approach
(d) Geocentric Approach
19. In the paired comparison technique of performance appraisal, which of the
following formulae is applied?
(a) No. of comparison = N (N-1)
(b) No. of comparison = N (N-1)
(c) No. of comparison = N – (N-1)
(d) No. of comparison = N – (N-1)
20. Which of the following is not one of the modern methods of performance
(a) 3600 Technique
(b) Human resource accounting
(c) Descriptive evaluation
21. Which of the following statements regarding MBO is not true?
(a) MBO has emerged as a reaction to the traditional management practices
(b) MBO has a special provision for mutual goal setting
(c) There is no special provision in MBO for appraising of progress by both the
appraiser and the appraisee.
(d) MBO is based on behavioural value of fundamental trust in the goodness of
22. Which of the following methods that have not contributed to the weakening
the meaning of job as a well defined and clearly delineated set of
(a) Flatter Organizations
(b) Work Teams
(c) Boundary less organizations
(d) Vertical organizations
23. Decision theory is typically pursued by researchers who identify themselves
24. Which of the following is not a type of Internet Job Board?
(a) Resume Blaster
(b) Professional Association
(c) Target Applicants
(d) Weighted Application Blanks
25. Which of the following is not an intangible requirement of a job?
(b) Self -confidence
(c) Physical Appearance
26. Which of the following is not one of the five stages of competency-based
(a) Rapport Building
27. What percentage of Competency-based questions usually constitute an
interview (supplemented by other types of questions)?
28. Which of the following statement is not correct?
(a) A decision theory is falsified as a descriptive theory if a decision
problem can be found in which most human subjects perform in contradiction to
(b) A decision theory is moderately falsified as a descriptive theory if a
decision problem can be found in which most human subjects perform in accordance
with the theory.
(c) A decision theory is weakly falsified as a normative theory if a decision
problem can be found in which an agent can perform in contradiction with the
theory without being irrational.
(d) A decision theory is strictly falsified as a normative theory if a
decision problem can be found in which an agent who performs in accordance with
the theory cannot be a rational agent.
29. Which, according to Simon, is not one of the phases in decision making?
30. In which area FIRO-B does not measure your inter personal needs?
31. Which of the following is not an alternative to recruitment?
(c) Inside Moonlighting
(d) Temporary employment
32. Which of the following is not a Big Five that describe behavioural traits
that may explain 75 per cent of an individual’s personality?
(a) External appearance
(c) Emotional stability
33. Which of the following is not a type of validity (in the context of
(b) Phenomenon related
34. Which of the following is not a type of interview?
(a) Situational interview
(b) Behavioural description interview
(c) Unstructured interview
(d) Diagonal interview
35. Which of the following is not a Cognitive Ability Test?
(a) Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale
(b) O’Connor and Tweezer Dexterity Test
(c) California Test of Mental Maturity (Adult Level)
(d) Wonderlic Personnel Test
36. Which of the following qualities of an individual’s personality is not
measured by the Myers-Briggs Type indicator?
(a) Introversion/ Extroversion
(b) Sensing / Intuition
(c) Thinking / Feeling
(d) Arguing / Aggression
37. Some studies have not found strong support for:
(a) External consistency
(b) Construct validity
(c) Test-retest reliability
(d) Internal consistency
38. Briggs and Myers recognized that each of the cognitive functions cannot
operate in the external world of :
39. TAT is not intended to evaluate a person’s:
(a) Patterns of thought
(c) Observational capacity
40. In the case of TAT, the subject is asked to tell the examiner a story about
each card that does not include:
(a) Event shown in the picture
(b) What has led upto it
(c) Merits and demerits of the event
(d) Outcome of event
Contact www.solvedcare.com for best and lowest cost solution or email firstname.lastname@example.org